There are 6 things you need to do when employing staff for the first time.
- Decide how much you need to pay someone – you must pay your employee at least the National Minimum Wage (NMW).
- Check if someone has the legal right to work in the UK. You may have to do other employment checks as well.
- Get employment insurance – you need employers’ liability insurance as soon as you become an employer. It must cover you for at least £5 million and come from an ‘authorized insurer’.
- Send details of the job (including terms and conditions) in writing to your employee. If you’re employing someone for more than 1 month, you need to give them a written statement of employment within their first 2 months.
- Tell HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) by registering as an employer – you can do this up to 4 weeks before you pay your new staff.
- Give staff a pay statement showing deductions you have made for things like tax, National Insurance and student loan repayments.
For further information visit the HMRC web site
Need help with your business plan? Yes? Then it’s time to make that no cost, no obligation initial appointment with John Barnes.