BOARD MEETING ARRANGEMENTS
There is a clear need for a schedule of board meetings and most companies opt for one a month but some have quarterly or bi-monthly meetings. This schedule should be prepared at least one year in advance. At times of crisis, the frequency may need to be increased as required.
- four to 14 a year, planned a year ahead
- any director may call a meeting at any time
- The Company Secretary must organise such a meeting at the director’s request.
- Duration: preferably two to four hours.
- Location: varied if possible to ensure a good environment.
- Seating: should be planned to avoid power groups.
- Essential only if there is no pre-arranged programme (e.g. every first Thursday of each month), otherwise reasonable notice.
- Give due regard to directors who are not in the country.
- Agenda: should be practical, though it is not a legal necessity to have a set agenda.
Could your business do with an impartial Non Executive Director to chair or participate in your board meetings? Then it could be time for you to contact John Barnes for that initial, no cost no obligation meeting?